Ballyneale NS was awarded an Active Schools Flag in June 2012. This is awarded by the Department of Education and Skills to schools that strive to achieve a physically active and physically educated schools community.
To achieve this award Ballyneale NS
- had a comprehensive and up-to-date Physical Education Plan
- implements the prescribed curricula for Physical Education
- makes a range of extra-curricular activities available on both an individual and team basis
- offers extra-curricular activities available that are inclusive, and that cater for the diversity of the pupils including those with special needs
- promotes physical activity during breaks and lunch times
- works with external agencies to promote physical activity
- organises an “Active Schools Week” every year
- organises an annual school sports day where children engage co-operatively in a wide range of sporting activities. Special emphasis is placed on participation and enjoyment rather than pressure to compete.