Here at Ballyneale NS we believe that the students should play an active, positive role in the life of the school and we hold that our Student Council helps to achieve this.
Our Student Council is comprised of eight students from fifth and sixth classes.
The Role of the Student Council is to:
- Provide an opportunity for pupils to voice their opinions and offer suggestions in relation to many aspects of school life
- Create a link between students and teachers
- Inform the teachers if there are problems between pupils in the school yard
- Engage in activities that will benefit the school and its pupils – fundraising, competitions, collecting tokens, organising activities etc.
- Provide an opportunity to raise funds for charities
- Promote the school by word of mouth and by actions
- Help out in the school
- BE POSITIVE regarding the school.
Through our Student Council we hope to give the pupils a positive role in the organisation of the school and thus ensure that they feel they are listened to and respected for their ideas and concerns and that these are both valued and valuable.
Discussions in classes and at the Council meetings helps to develop social and learning skills in many areas such as speaking and listening, problem solving and decision – making and the decision – making process.
The Student Council is elected in September. Three boys and three girls from 5th to 6th classes are elected. As well as bringing matters to the council for discussion two members are assigned to each classroom and initially outline the purpose of the Student Council to each classroom, report the outcome of Council meetings and inform the classes of Council activities and initiatives.
The Student council plays an active role in many aspects of school life:
- As a link between students and staff in our Anti-Bullying Code
- Making the yard a happy place
- Health and Safety
- Collecting tokens etc.
- Christmas Pageant
- Shoebox Appeal
Each year the council decides on its own hands-on activities which might include organising non-uniform day, art competition or charity events
Each year, the Student Council organise a Cake Sale to raise funds for local charities.